The Faculty of Humanities at the Universiteit van Amsterdam provides education and conducts research with a strongly international profile in a large number of disciplines in the field of language, history, and culture.
The prospective professor will be the head of the chair group Speech communication, argumentation theory and rhetoric. This group’s research and teaching programmes cover the field of argumentation theory, rhetoric, pragmatics, discourse analysis, stylistics and verbal communication, including its applications in institutional contexts (politics, law, academic writing etc.). The successful candidate has a good understanding of or a serious interest in the field of applied linguistics (in particular speech communication and discourse analysis), argumentation theory and rhetoric, which is apparent from academic qualifications, publications and teaching experience. The prospective candidate is capable of providing guidance and inspiration with respect to the current research focus on argumentation and rhetoric that characterizes the chair group, but also has a challenging and coherent view on the possibilities to further expand the group’s research programme. The candidate easily crosses borders between various academic disciplines, and has proven competencies in academic leadership.
- A PhD in (speech) communication, applied linguistics, argumentation theory or rhetoric;
- an international reputation in (speech) communication, argumentation theory or rhetoric;
- the ability to establish productive connections with other academic disciplines within as well as outside the department;
- research relevant to one of the Faculty’s research priority areas;
- an excellent publication record;
- an extensive international network;
- an experienced and enthusiastic teacher;
- experience in developing new teaching programs;
- a proven track record of acquiring external research funding;
- proven management capacities.
Please check the information about chairs at the Faculty of Humanities.For further details, interested parties should contact:
- D. van der Vaart, Secretary of the selection committee T: +31 (0) 20 525 3804
- Prof. dr. T.L. Vaessens, Chair of the committee T: +31 (0) 20 525 4817
The appointment will be permanent. The gross salary will normally conform to professorial scale 2, between €5,003 and €7,285 gross per month (€ 69.822 - € 101.669 per annum, including 8% holiday pay and an 8,3% end of year payment) on a full-time basis in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). In certain cases, however, different terms of employment may be offered. If desired, a part-time appointment of at least 0.8 fte can be arranged.
Applications will be received by a selection committee headed by the chair of the department of Dutch Studies, prof. Thomas Vaessens. Following a procedure, which may involve a formal assessment and a public trial lecture, the committee will make its final recommendation to the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities.
The University of Amsterdam wishes to see an increase in the amount of women occupying higher academic positions. This is why female candidates are specifically invited to apply. The Faculty aims to ease the combination of working in Amsterdam and managing one’s personal affairs.
No agencies please.